Debugging Software for C/C++, Fortran, and Mixed-Language Python Applications
TotalView debugging software provides the specialized tools you need to quickly debug, analyze, and scale high-performance computing (HPC) applications. This includes highly dynamic, parallel, and multicore applications that run on diverse hardware — from desktops to supercomputers.
Improve HPC development efficiency, code quality, and time-to-market with TotalView’s powerful tools for faster fault isolation, improved memory optimization, and dynamic visualization.
Speed HPC Application Development
Cut Development Costs
Learn New Code Faster
Improve Efficiency and Code Quality
Dynamic Analysis of Threads, Processes, and Memory Usage
Spend your time developing the HPC solutions needed to answer life’s bigger questions — and less time on debugging — by using the tools in TotalView for debugging:
Explore TotalView’s Features
Learn more about what you can accomplish with TotalView.
- HPC Features
- Reverse Debugging
- Memory Debugging
- Remote Display Client
- Operating Systems
Debug applications running in your HPC environments faster with TotalView, by taking advantage of its abilities to:
- Support more than 20 different MPI implementations.
- Debug multithreaded applications with pthreads, OpenMP, and TBB.
- Easily establish interactive debugging sessions within your cluster — including through batch submission systems.
- Provide visualizations of program data and variables.
- Define how aggregate data in displayed, so you can see custom data structures in simpler forms.
- Debug programs using the CUDA and/or OpenACC models.
- Perform advanced memory debugging, including memory leaks and errors.
Speed issue resolution in HPC code by using the reverse debugging capability in TotalView to:
- Work back from a failure, error, or crash to its root cause.
- Record and replay:
- Heap memory usage.
- Process file and network I/O.
- Thread context switches.
- Multithreaded applications.
- MPI parallel applications.
- Distributed applications.
- Network applications.
- Step forward and backward by function, line, and instruction.
- Support continuous integration, collaboration, and code-learning by recording code.
- Eliminate restarting your program repeatedly with different breakpoints.
- Learn new code and deliver enhancements quicker.
Find memory leaks and buffer overruns with TotalView's scalable memory-debugging technology:
- Easily find memory leaks and understand heap usage.
- Detect malloc/free, new/delete API misuse.
- Detect buffer overruns.
- Share memory debugging data with colleagues through data files and HTML reports.
- Compare memory results between sessions to verify elimination of leaks.
- Save time and money with low overhead technology that does not require recompilation or instrumentation.
When you deploy TotalView on a host machine, you can debug jobs running on compute nodes from a client running TotalView using the Remote Display Client feature. With it, you can:
- Receive an alert when your application starts running on remote infrastructure.
- Run remote debugging sessions using a client device — even if it does not have a TotalView license.
- Submit batch jobs to SLURM, PBS Pro, and Load Leveler batch-queuing systems.
Customers can request these free plugins via the software download form.
You can debug applications written in one or more of the following languages, using TotalView:
- C and C++
- Mixed-language applications written in Python and C/C++
The applications you debug using TotalView can run on the following operating systems:
- Linux including Cray Linux Environment (CLE) and PowerLE
- UNIX including AIX and Solaris
You can use TotalView to debug and optimize code for laptops, workstations, servers, clusters, and supercomputers with the following processors:
- ARM (aarch64)
- Intel/AMD (x86-64, x86)
- NVIDIA GPUs on Linux x86-64, Linux ARM64, and Linux PowerLE (Power9)
- NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier
- OpenPOWER (ppc64le)
- Power (ppc64, ppc32)
Use TotalView to debug code that uses the following standardized APIs, plus many more:
Start your free trial of TotalView to see how you can dramatically simplify and accelerate HPC debugging.
Watch how TotalView improves HPC debugging.
Our experts are ready to help.